Milan Kundera never fails to astonish me. I have only read snippets and pieces from Life is Elsewhere, already I am awestruck. In many ways it is more accessible than The Unbearable Lightness of Being; but it is so acute and accurate in portraying all the nuances of our lives that it is very frightening. From the loveless mother who tries to hold onto her son and only joy, to the poet who dreams of another girl while being with his frail and ugly girlfriend - their thoughts and behaviour, I feel like anyone at some level can relate to. It is haunting.
Chinese New Year was just okay, some parts dull some interesting and some mildly entertaining. It lost most of its festive flavour this year ): probably due to family politics and decreasing angpows. There were less fireworks too: I didn't see my favourite one from last year, this concoction of gold and glitter that rained down like falling stars. At least there were little things to enjoy; pictionary, steamboats, television, long conversations, cute cousins with pretty dresses.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment