Friday, February 22, 2008

the gardens of sampson & beasley

There is a story of a couple in China. They met when he was 19 and she 29; fearing village gossip, they eloped into the mountains and have been living there ever since. Because his wife found it difficult to climb down the mountain when they needed to get supplies, the man decided to hand-carve steps for her in the hard rock. Over 50 years, he carved a staircase of 6,000 steps - a monument to their love. It touched me so much, when I watched the video of an elderly man (potbellied and bald no less), eagerly chipping away at a mountain before him, I burst into tears. Moment captured:

I would like to believe in true love, honestly, the sincere good kind that looks beyond imperfections. But perhaps I am not capable of it yet. I heard something today that broke my heart, not completely nor fully but it was irreparable and certain, enough to start losing faith. Perhaps I think too much.

No comments: