Thursday, February 28, 2008

au revoir

changi airport in two views: happy and bright, nostalgic and old (it was an accidental effect)

So my brother left yesterday evening for Australia. It will be a long long time, 3 years and maybe a lot more since there is little intention of him coming back. My parents were pretty cheerful but my sister and I choked our tears back as we watched him cross that check-in barrier. Just a thin wall of glass but he already felt so far away. Last moments:


I suppose it is a part of growing up and my cousins have already gone overseas, all my relatives and friends' families have begun this segregation where children grow up and take off. But the house felt exceedingly quiet, I saw his towel missing and realized the bathroom is now all of mine. His bed is still made and his room almost looks exactly like it was, sheets rumpled, as if he had slept here last night. My mantra for now: it will be okay it will be okay it has to be okay.

No comments: